Honors awarded by Tacoma Historical Society
The presentations were made at the society's 29th anniversary meeting, held at the University of Puget Sound on April 8, 2019.
Alan Liddle Award – David Fischer
The Tacoma Historical Society is pleased to present the 2019 Alan Liddle Award to David Fischer for his leadership role in the 2018 renovation of the Pantages Theater. The award is given annually for historic preservation and advocacy.
As Executive Director of Tacoma Arts Live, David met the challenges of fund raising and budget management for the $21 million project. While providing improved acoustics and patron safety, this project was conducted with meticulous restoration of the auditoriums’ dramatic original details. The project was achieved on the theater’s 100th anniversary and, under David’s direction, the broad menu of performances continue to enhance Tacoma’s cultural richness in this historic venue.
Murray Morgan Award - Dale Wirsing
In presenting the 2019 Murray Morgan Award to Dale Wirsing, the Tacoma Historical Society honors the decades-long contributions of one of its founding members. He has served as president and vice president of the THS board and has worked tirelessly to preserve and communicate local history. A few examples of Dale’s contributions:
- Author of Builders, Brewers and Burghers: Germans of Washington
- Editor of the Society's City of Destiny Newsletter for well over a decade
- Primary editor of every exhibit presented at the Tacoma History Museum
- Primary editor of nearly a dozen publications by Tacoma Historical Society Press
- Manuscript reader for any local author who requests his assistance
- "Program Chair for Life," coordinating monthly speakers at THS programs and outreach
- Popular speaker at area retirement centers, regularly presenting on a wide variety of topics
- Steadfast member of the Friday morning historian group, working to collate Tacoma Historical Society’s collection of books, artifacts, photos and documents